Capstone: Defining the Idea — Project Brief
This post is part five of a project documentation series starting with the post: What is Capstone? That post will give you a lot of context on this project and the series. Through these posts, I will be documenting the process of my Senior Year Capstone course.
My project will be a curated subscription service that sends a plant and an instruction print/poster on a regular basis. The project will involve designing the branding/identity, packaging, how-to print/postcards, and potentially a mock website.
If this was real, in five years:
- It would look like a successful subscription service with a growing following and high ratings.
- It would be a large organization that is favored over its competitors.
- This business would make money through the customers paying for the service.
The primary products I envision creating for this capstone:
- Instruction print/postcard
- Packaging (stickers/labels, boxes, bags, etc…)
- Website Mockup
- It exists because plants are beneficial to humans and people often get them but don’t know how to take care of them.
- It would be meaningful because plants require you to take time to take care of them which in turn will benefit you.
- People will want it because it spreads out the time between each plant, gives clear instructions, and is curated to your specific needs/wants.
Why it Matters to Me
This project matters to me because I love plants and collecting them, but I always end up with too many at once and not knowing how to take care of them properly. I have seen this happen with people around me as well. I believe that if there were a brand like this where people had very clear instructions, plants that were curated to their needs, and the reasons why plants are beneficial to them, then it would help them in many ways. This project also matters to me as I get to explore/strengthen skills that I have been building for a few years into a larger project which will benefit me in my career/growth as a designer.
To internalize my ideal customer I have created three different target types/personas. To read more about this and my target types, click the link below.